Sunday, September 4, 2011

Many, many adventures (part 1)

It feels impossible to update you on the past month since my last post about the family reunion at the beach. I think I've decided that it feels this way because it is. Impossible, that is. I can't tell you how many planes, trains, boats, buses and cars I've traveled in, how many new people I have met from other continents, how much I've been spoiled by friends and family, how much I've grown, how many new things I've seen and experienced... I'd say I'm an old soul, but let's be honest: I'm still only two. Yes, I did turn two in the last month. We'll get to that. 

First: Africa. That's right. My crazy parents dragged me to Africa... who am I kidding, there was no dragging- mostly because I love people and airplanes and new things and new places and adventures and more planes and more people and.... you get the idea.

Our trip started July 28th at midnight at the Denver International Airport. We gathered as a team, ready to leave for Kenya...  many hours would pass before we arrived, and even more passed once we did arrive. In addition to loving the experience of flying high in the sky in multiple airplanes over the united states and over the ocean and over europe and parts of Africa... well, that was just the start of all the fun... 

Eburru


At church in Eburru, there was a lot of dancing...








and when I was done showing off my moves and learning new ones, I checked out the kitchen...



and had some snacks with Kara...


and played the drums with Lucas...


Then we went home to "camp"where I spent a good deal of time hanging with the team, my new friends, and of course monkey and paci came with me EVERYwhere...



My monkey became a part of the team and traveled everywhere I did, including to school...


where there were LOTS of kids, aka new friends to make!


I helped wash the cups after snack time...


and even pitched in for some of the art projects...


One of my favorite things to do at school was run around and explore... (here with Kira)


sometimes I would even get a ride home afterwards since I was so worn out...




in which cases Lucas would drive the stroller home...


Another favorite part was visiting the cats at the school every day...


and the chickens....


and getting thrown around by daddy...


and playing with Lucas...



or running around like a hooligan...



and of course hanging with the cows...


Like I said. It's truly impossible to give a full and complete summary of our time in Eburru - let's just say it was a blast and I hope I can go back sometime soon!

Nairobi

Now, I have much fewer photos of our time in Nairobi.... something about the safety issues of carrying a camera around? I didn't really understand it. In any case, we visited more new friends in Mathare  and of course monkey and paci came, too. Oh- my mom wants me to mention that yes, monkey was washed and cleaned and color bleached and all that stuff several times. I don't know why that's such a big deal. Anyway. On with the adventures...

In addition to visiting Mathare and going to church there one Sunday, we also got to do a few fun outings, like feeding giraffe...






and some caves where the rebels used to hide (again, I don't get it... this is just what they tell me)




and eventually, I just got all pooped out... our last night in Nairobi, we went out to dinner and well, I was just spent. Mom and dad said we were leaving the next day and I was ready to come home...



(For a more "grown up" summary of our trip to Kenya, ask my mom and dad... they have their own version of things)


No comments:

Post a Comment